Trivia Questions: Sugar
1. Does Sugar like her name?
2. What animal does Billy ask Sugar about in the beginning?
3. What are the names of the older workers that take care of Sugar?
Mr. and Mrs. Beale
4. Who gets to be captain when Sugar and Billy are sailing on their river boat?
Both Billy and Sugar are captain!
5. Which character does Sugar like to tell stories about the most?
6. Which friend of Sugar’s decides to go north early on?
7. Who first tells Sugar that Chinese workers are coming to River Road?
8. What continent do hyenas come from?
9. Once Sugar goes off to hunt for eagles, how many trees does she climb to find them?
10. What year in the book do the Chinese workers come to the plantation?
11. How do you say “hello” in Chinese?
“Ni hao” (pronounced “Knee-how”)
12. Why are the other workers afraid of the Chinese workers?
They are afraid the Chinese workers will take their jobs.
13. What is the first Chinese word Beau draws in the dirt for Sugar?
His name “Bo”
14. Which animal year of the Chinese zodiac was Sugar born under?
Year of the Monkey
15. What name does Sugar give to the cat?
16. What kind of food does Beau teach Sugar how to make?
17. What’s the last word Sugar’s mom says to her before she dies?
18. When Billy has a fever, what does Sugar practice for him?
19. How does Rabbit get out of the well?
He tricks Hyena into jumping on one of the buckets on the pulley, bringing Hyena down into the well and Rabbit up out of the well.
20. Does Billy continue to cut cane during harvest?
21. What color is Beau’s kite?
22. What animals do Sugar and Billy show Beau?
23. What color is the dragon in Beau’s story?
24. What is Beau’s zodiac animal?
25. Why does Sugar go into the mill when it’s on fire?
To rescue Jade
26. Who started the mill fire?
Tom, the overseer
27. When Sugar’s healing, who tells her a different story every day?
28. What does Mr. Wills announce once Sugar’s done healing?
He says he has sold the mill.
29. How do Beau and Sugar say good-bye for the last time?
They bow to each other
30. Where are the Beales and Sugar headed at the end of the book?
North to St. Louis